Get ready for the new menu that matches to the whole family – the trade secret Christmas pie. This menu is made up of perfect mincemeat, apple juice, egg yolk, York ham and other ingredients. Preparing this food is not so hard and can fully satisfy your food cravings.
Preparation Method :
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C/350°F.
- Put the beef, veal, ham, parsley, mincemeat, cranberry jelly, lemon rind and onions in a mixing bowl.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and some freshly ground black pepper, mix it well and place it on one side.
- To make the pastry, put the lard in a large saucepan with 400ml hot water and heat gently until the lard melts.
- Bring it to the boil, remove from the heat and beat it with the seasoned flour to form a soft dough.
- Beat the egg yolk into the dough, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rest in a warm place for 20 minutes and Do not allow the dough to cool.
- Roll out the pastry and pat two-thirds of it into the base and sides of a 2 kilo loaf tin, distributing it evenly to leave space for the pie filling.
- Place the meat mixture inside and make a lid with the remaining pastry.
- Cover the pie and seal the edges, using any pastry trimmings to decorate the top.
- Make a large hole in the centre of the pie lid. Bake for atleast 80- 90 minutes and allow it to cool.
- Make up the aspic jelly with apple juice, cool it for 10 minutes, then pour the aspic through the hole in the top of the pie.
- Chill the pie for 3 hours and then remove it from the tin.
- Slice it with a warm carving knife and then serve.
- 500 grams of minced beef
- 450 grams minced veal
- 125 grams York ham, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 150 grams Mincemeat
- 4 tablespoons cranberry jelly
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 2 peeled and finely chopped onions
- Freshly ground black pepper and Salt
- 3 tablespoons powdered aspic
- 270 ml clear apple juice, warmed
For the pastry
- 300 grams lard
- 750 grams seasoned plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
©Copyright 2012, lekhafoods, All Rights Reserved